I’ve been looking forward to going to Canada for a long time and finally managed to visit earlier this month!
Back story: About 6-7 years ago, Fu went to Canada all by himself (granted, it was for a conference, but still), came back and raved non-stop about how amazing Niagara Falls was, how much he liked Canada – how big and beautiful the place was, how friendly and nice the people were – and I’ve wanted to see it for myself ever since. I’m so glad I finally got to go to Canada after all this time!
I chose to go in October because Autumn is my absolute favorite season, and it was a good time to catch the fall colors in Ontario then! The added bonus is that it is after peak season and prices are lower than during summer!
I spent quite some time researching and planning for the trip – Deciding on the places to visit, the route, the best places to stay at for the maximum value – and this is the itinerary for our 4-day road trip around Ontario. Hopefully it will be useful reference to someone else!
Day 1 – Oct 3, Fri
YYZ Airport (arrival: 12pm) – Downtown Toronto
- Pick up car (booked via Hotwire)
- Navigate with paper map to shop to get data for phone
- Explore downtown
- University of Toronto
- Royal Ontario Museum
- Check into hotel (also Hotwire)
Day 2 – Oct 4, Sat
Toronto – Bruce Peninsular – Owen Sound
- Drive to Bruce Peninsular National Park (4hr)
- Picnic lunch + explore park
- Drive to motel in Owen Sound (1hr) (first time staying at a motel!)
Day 3 – Oct 5, Sun
Owen Sound – Maple Farm – Niagara Falls
- Drive to White Meadow Farms maple farm (3hr) – Tour ended for the day though, phooey :(
- Drive to Niagara Falls (1/2hr)
- Check into $25 hotel with breathtaking views of Niagara Falls
- Explore Niagara Falls
- Journey behind the Falls
- Spam picture-taking of/with the falls
- Dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steak House
- Catch 10pm fireworks from hotel room
Day 4 – Oct 6, Mon
Niagara Falls – YYZ Airport (departure: 6pm)
- Physically drag self out of bed to window to catch sunrise view of Niagara Falls
- Go down and look at Niagara Falls some more
- Lunch at restaurant with spectacular view of the falls
- Slowly bid goodbye to falls and make way to airport
- Drive to YYZ airport (1.5hrs)
As before, I will be using the itinerary as a guide to writing up posts in the coming days and linking them accordingly :)
Sounds lovely!! Do include pictures of the motel! I am really curious of how it looks. All I have is an impression of how it looks from typical TV shows haha.
Haha, it really was everything I imagined it to be! (I also only had TV shows for reference before this)
Nonetheless, I will post photos, since you asked ;)